Tuesday, February 24, 2015

What happened to the Barker Store & Post Office?


So an incredible Saturday found me hung over on Sunday and in no condition to challenge personal records on Strava.  I still needed to get out and get some time on the bike.  So I rode through George Bush Park, around the reservoir, to where Highway 6 and Terry Hershey Park meet.  I decided I would make frequent stops and enjoy the park.  Usually my rides on this route are a hurried commute or a test of how fast I can ride.  It had been two years since I actually rode through the park to appreciate the park. Damn if I didn't miss a major change. 

On Barker-Clodine Rd as you exit the park to the North there is an old church.  Next to the church stood the Barker General Store and Post Office established in 1898.  I loved that this old building was still standing.  Clearly it has moved from its original location on Barker St but that was great.  Someone in Houston gave a shit.  Someone cared enough to preserve this old piece of history.  Well it’s gone now.  I have been banging away at Google but can’t seem to find anything about a planned relocation.  Good god don’t tell me this building became firewood.  Between this building disappearing and no-one seeming to give a shit that TXDOT has a plan to destroy the bike path through the park, I don’t think I can take much more.  

A coworker said he saw the building being put on a truck for moving.  Can anyone confirm this or where it went?  Here is an article about Barker, TX and some pictures I took of the building a couple years ago.








2 comments:

  1. Hey! I found it. I am visiting in Sealy, and in my travels around these environs, stumbled across it somewhere nearby. Am still trying to figure out where it is. There is scaffolding around it, but it does look like someone is trying to save it. I'll bookmark this and can let you know. I have photos I took; looks just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, have you located where in Sealy?

    ReplyDelete